We had an incredible time at Make + Do’s Flower Arranging Workshop and Kristin with Floral Creations Florist taught us so much about how to arrange, design, cut and care for flowers.
We’re recapping a few tips with you here because it was just SO valuable:
- Start by filling your vase with fresh, room temperature water.
- If you choose to use “flower food,” only use a pinch. Too much can actually be harmful for your flowers and kill them.
- When cutting your stems to size, use a knife or shears. Do NOT use scissors, they pinch the stems and prevent them from drinking water!
- If you’re using a short vase, use floral tape to create a grid on the opening. This helps keep flowers in place (hint: the best kind of floral tape is sold by florists!).
- Once you’ve finished arranging your flowers, pour the water out of the vase to refill with fresh water. This will make them last longer.
- Keep all leaves and foliage out of the water in your vase — they drink it first and can keep it from hydrating the actual flower.
- Keep your stems as long as possible so they drink water and stay hydrated.
- Change your water every other day to get the most life out of your arrangement!